There are three main elements to becoming a Chartered Member of IStructE: academic qualifications, Initial Professional Development (IPD), and Professional Review.
The right qualifications
If you’re picking a degree, choose an accredited course if possible. If you’ve already graduated, you can check if your course is accredited and if not, contact our membership team to discuss your options.
Completing your IPD
You’ll need to demonstrate how you have satisfied 13 core objectives to qualify for Chartered Membership.
Passing your Professional Review
You’ll need to pass our exam and interview to become a Chartered Member.
We want to make Chartered Membership as accessible as possible, recognising that IPD can be demonstrated through membership of other professional organisations, extensive industry experience, and accomplishment in research.
That's why we offer a number of other routes to membership.
If you are CEng registered with any of the following:
- Institution of Civil Engineers
- Engineers Ireland
- Institution of Mechanical Engineers
- Chartered Institute of Building Service Engineers
- Royal Institution of Naval Architects
- Royal Aeronautical Society
- Institute of Marine Engineering, Science and Technology
or CPEng registered with
- The Structural College with Engineers Australia - candidates must have undertaken an assessment in the Structural Engineering discipline. Membership of the Structural College through affiliation is not accepted.
- Engineering New Zealand
you can apply to sit our Chartered Membership exam without the requirement to demonstrate your IPD or undergo a Professional Review interview.
If you are a member of the Hong Kong Institution of Engineers and have been assessed in the Structural Discipline via the standard route, please contact the membership team to further discuss the steps you will need to take towards professional registration.
Your application for the Mutual Recognition Agreement must contain the following documents, which need to be uploaded when completing the online process:
- Copy of your membership certificate from the Institution with which IStructE has an agreement
- Copy of your Engineering Council registration certificate confirming your Chartered registration (if applying through a UK engineering institution)
- Copy of your professional status certificate (eg CPEng status) in host country or membership of a particular discipline/college
- A recent (not older than 3 months) original letter from the other Institution confirming your membership and good standing, acceptability of your academic qualifications and that you were admitted to professional membership through their standard procedures (i.e. not through a mutual agreement with another organisation)
- Copy of degree certificates. If you do not meet our academic requirements, we may ask you to undergo an academic assessment.
- A CV detailing recent experience in the profession, including details of company names, addresses, dates of employment and positions held